Cosmetic Dentistry has evolved over the years to allow dentists to give patients what they crave…..A beautiful long lasting smile that changes their life. In the past, dentists could do minor changes to a person’s smile or more drastic ones using orthodontics. Today, modern cosmetic dentistry techniques and materials allow drastic changes as well as minor ones that can alter a patient’s smile for the better.
Do you believe having a great looking smile can improve your appearance and enhance your social life?
In a recent poll by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) revealed that about 96% of those surveyed agreed that it can. In the same study about 65% of the participants said they were unhappy with one or more aspects of their smiles. Cosmetic dentistry has the ability to change that.
Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Cosmetic Dentistry procedures come in all sizes from a one office visit for teeth whitening to a multiple visit complete smile makeover. Let’s take a look at some of the most sought after cosmetic dentistry procedures…
– Teeth Contouring. This might be one of the simplest and easiest cosmetic dentistry procedures of all. It is generally done without anesthesia and can be as simple as filing down a tooth that appears longer or is slightly out of alignment with the others. Most patients are quite surprised at how such a small adjustment can alter their smile for the better.
– Gum contouring. Evening out gum levels can help teeth to look more evenly sized and can make short teeth appear longer.
– Teeth Whitening. In the United States, teeth whitening is the most common cosmetic dentistry procedure performed by dentists. It has been proven by research time and again that people find a whiter smile to be more attractive. People tend to feel better about themselves when they are happy with their appearance. The teeth whitening procedure can be done at home or in the office. Either procedure is generally very successful, and can give patients a dramatic change to their smile with minimal cost and time invested.
Cosmetic Dentistry Can Fix Even Minor Flaws
– Dental Bonding. While dental bonding is also used to restore teeth damaged by tooth decay it can also be used as a composite veneer to change color or shape, fix chipped teeth, or close small gaps in your smile.Dental bonding is the process in which tooth colored dental materials are bonded to a tooth. This procedure is also a quicker fix and can usually be completed in a single visit easily altering your smile in as little as an hour.
– Replacing old silver restorations. Many of us have a few silver fillings. Replacing silver fillings with new white fillings or porcelain onlays can make your whole smile brighter.
– Porcelain Veneers and Porcelain Crowns. Our smiles are constantly changing over time with wear. Teeth can get worn down, can shift, or maybe you were born with an imperfect smile. Porcelain veneers and porcelain crowns can be a great way to replace lost tooth structure and alter imperfect teeth. These cosmetic dentistry procedures tend to require multiple visits but the results will give you a beautiful smile.
Porcelain Veneers are custom made, ultra thin, tooth colored shells that are adhesively bonded to the teeth. This allows the cosmetic dentist to not only alter color of your teeth, but shape and length as well. Porcelain veneers are sometimes called instant orthodontics. This is because porcelain veneers can change the alignment of teeth if the alignment issues are not too extreme. Porcelain crowns can be used on teeth that either already have crowns or need more extensive work (having large restorations or tooth decay). Both porcelain veneers and porcelain crowns can as used in cosmetic dentistry to give the patient a flawless, more youthful and sexy smile.
– Dental Implants. These are the newest addition to cosmetic dentistry. Dental implants allow cosmetic dentists another option in tooth replacement. Whether it is a single tooth or a full mouth restoration, dental implants can fill that need. Missing teeth has long been considered a sign of old age. Having a full set of white teeth screams youth especially when they are bright, white, and sparkling. When a person is missing a tooth they have several options. There are partial and complete dentures (including the all on 4 dental implant ssystem), traditional bridges, and dental implants. A dental implant can look and feel just like a natural tooth. It is also easier to keep clean than a traditional bridge. Dental implants are placed directly into bone creating a solid foundation for a natural tooth replacement.
– Bite Reclamation. Over time as we use our teeth we tend to lose some height on our teeth. This loss of height of height is also referred to as loss of vertical dimension. Some other factors that cause this loss include acid reflux or teeth grinding (bruxism). Reclaiming a person’s bite utilizing dental implants and porcelain crowns will increase vertical height which will also remove some of the wrinkles around the mouth. These wrinkles develop as our we age and our mouth’s sag from this loss of dimension. Cosmetic dentistry can fix some of this.
Cosmetic Dentistry Conclusion
Cosmetic Dentistry gives the dentist the ability to give patients the smiles they have always dreamed of. Not everyone wants a complete Hollywood style smile makeover and just want minor issues fixed that have always bothered them. Modern cosmetic dentistry allows for both minor fixes as well as extreme ones. Whichever cosmetic dentistry procedure you choose, please be sure that you keep your teeth healthy by visiting your dentist regularly for dental examinations and professional cleanings